Monday, February 21, 2011

Hansel and Gretel


Done for digital painting class. This was a very different approach to painting...I'm not too sure that I like the end result :s we were told to create the painting in greyscale first then adjust the colour balance of each level. Working this way made it very difficult for me to pick colours, so I'm not sure if I'll be trying this again anytime soon (maybe a variation on this approach)
Well here it is! I'm pretty sure everyone has this idea of doing the adorable little candy house in the middle of a creepy forest, heres my take on it :)

oh and I hope everyone is having a happy Family Day!! (I'm not sure if Ontario is the only place that has it, but hope I its going great for everyone whos got the long weekend!)

12 comments:

.. said...

this is something else seeeeema! i want more!

Kari Kilpela said...

this is really great, interesting technique too!
I think you should try it again :3

Victoria C. said...

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted Blackman said...

At WB animation we are painting some shows backgrounds in traditional black and white paint on board, then we scan the paintings and add the color in photoshop. It gives a warmer, more human touch to the environments. Your method reminded me of that. Neat.

In the US we have Presidents day for this 3 day weekend.

Gabby Zapata said...

These look like so much fun! I like the end result :) We had to do that too at some point, but I too wasn't into it as much either. Instead, I do little color swatches on the side then do that. Life is boring without color! haha

Khoi Mai said...

looks great Seema!

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

Amy He said...

this is beautiful seema! make moooreeee! f

Janine Antolin said...

Thanks! Your stuff is looking great too! You're at sheridan too? Have we met before? (LOL and apologies if we have, I'm soooo bad with names :S)

Seema Virdi said...

thanks so much for the kind comments everyone :)

ted, that sounds really cool! Its great to know that stuff is still being done traditionally, even if it is just a small part :)

Gabby, I agree! I'll have to try to figure out a variation on this approach where the colours dont feel as detached from the grey scale!

Unknown said...

This looks great! I love your colour choices!

Perin McLean said...

SO AMAZING SEEMA ;D;